Monday, June 9, 2008

Pregnant, nursing, and trying to have a healthy family!

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I'm the right person to be writing a blog about family health. I'm not a doctor or a nurse, and my commitment to my own health in the past has been sporradic at best. But I have a nine month-old son, and baby #2 on the way. If anything should increase my commitment it's that, right?

When I was single and baby-less, it was easy to make those lifestyle changes necessary to drop those five to ten pounds necessary to make it into that hot dress I promised myself I'd wear to a formal event. I'd simply take stairs instead of the elevator, walk to the grocery store snow or sunshine, and skip my daily latté (or order it Skinny if I felt I needed it badly).

With a baby around, things change, and those little lifestyle changes suddenly seem more difficult to make. You have to really commit yourself to your health, because you can't just take the stairs when you have a stroller (at least not by yourself), when it's cold it takes twice the effort to get out the door without a vehicle (ever try to put a screaming baby in a snowsuit? Not easy, let me tell you), if you can do it at all, and suddenly going without that latté seems a dear sacrifice indeed after the baby hardly let you have more than three hours of uninterrupted sleep. It is my hope that writing this blog will both strengthen my resolve in that area, as well as provide other moms and moms-to-be with helpful information and support in their own journeys.

Of course, as a mom, it would be ridiculous to look after my own health while paying scant attention to my baby's, so I felt it was natural to make this blog not only about my own health, but about raising a healthy family as well. Right now, my son, James, is having about three meals with solid food a day (two of which are only about three tablespoons, the last one of the day being about five tablespoons), and I feel our journey into the realm of solid foods and weaning has only just begun. I committed early on to breastfeed my son--the healthiest choice for both him and me--so I will be talking about that quite a lot. But I am also learning about a balanced, healthy solid-food diet for him, so I invite you to learn with me.

Here's to motherhood, to children, and to healthy families!

1 comment:

Neener0112 said...

I think you're wrong. You are the perfect person to be creating a blog on making healthy choices. Who wants to listen to another know-it-all doctor? You are real and are dealing with the same issue real women are facing. Bravo for you!